Nat Hentoff contributes regularly to Village Voice and The Wall Street Journal. Among other publications in which his work has appeared are The New York Times, The New Republic, Commonwealth, The Atlantic, and The New Yorker, where he was a staff writer for more than 25 years. Hentoff's views on journalistic responsibility and the rights of Americans to write, think, and speak freely are expressed in his weekly column, and he has come to be acknowledged as a foremost authority in the area of First Amendment defense. He is also an expert on the Bill of Rights, the Supreme Court, student rights, and education. He has published many books on jazz, biographies, and novels, including a number of books for children. Among his works: Does Anybody Give A Damn? Nat Hentoff on Education, Our Children Are Dying, A Doctor Among Addicts, Peace Agitator: The Story of A. J. Muste, The New Equality, The First Freedom: The Tumultuous History of Free Speech in America, The Day They Came to Arrest the Book, John Cardinal O'Connor: At The Storm Center of a Changing American Catholic Church, and Free Speech for Me But Not for Thee: How the American Left and Right Relentlessly Censor Each Other.
- "Flash! Republicans urge free speech on college campuses,"
by Nat Hentoff, Hattiesburg American Online, October 10, 2012
- "Colleges keep suppressing free speech on campuses,"
by Nat Hentoff, Hattiesburg American Online, October 5, 2012
- "Hentoff: College professors censor free speech,"
by Nat Hentoff, Amarillo Globe-News, September 27, 2012
- "Colleges Keep Suppressing Free Speech,"
by Nat Hentoff, Cato Institute, September 26, 2012
- "NYU Censors Its Arabian Campus,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Village Voice, July 4, 2012
- "1st Amendment protects speech we despise, too,"
by Nat Hentoff, WorldNetDaily, March 9, 2011
- "A basic freedom takes liberal hit,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Trentonian, July 10, 2010
- "Philadelphia man indicted for using right to free speech,"
by Nat Hentoff, Reading Eagle, June 17, 2010
- "HENTOFF: Fear and intimidation at Brandeis U.,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Washington Times, September 29, 2008
- "Brandeis University dishonors its name,"
by Nat Hentoff, WorldNetDaily, September 24, 2008
- "Mugging the Minutemen,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Village Voice, November 3, 2006
- "'Free speech' cries ring hollow on college campuses and beyond,"
by Nat Hentoff, USA Today, April 19, 2006
- "A Free-Speech War,"
by Nat Hentoff, Village Voice, March 11, 2005
- "Intimidated Classrooms,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Village Voice, January 18, 2005
- "Tolling the death knell for speech codes,"
by Nat Hentoff, First Amendment Center, October 16, 2003
- "Unfree Speech on College Campuses,"
by Nat Hentoff, Syndicated Column, November 14, 2002
- "Twilight for Free Speech at Colleges,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Washington Times, October 14, 2002
- "War Among Civil Libertarians,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Village Voice, August 27, 2002
- "Orwellian Justice on Campus: Columbia University's Star Chamber,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Village Voice, November 14, 2000
- "Who'll Be Blacklisted Next?,"
by Nat Hentoff, Village Voice, August 8, 2000
- "Using Race to Divide, Not Unite,"
by Nat Hentoff, The Washington Times, February 28, 2000