University of North Carolina System: Law Guaranteeing Right to Counsel
- "North Carolina Becomes First State to Guarantee College Students' Right to Attorney," August 23, 2013: Today, North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signed a bill granting public university students in the state facing non-academic disciplinary charges the right to an attorney. The law, which is the first of its kind nationwide, ensures that students attending the state’s public colleges and universities possess rights similar to those already enjoyed by North Carolina’s K–12 students under state law. FIRE worked with a bipartisan group of state legislators to enact the protection into law.
- "'East Carolinian' on N.C. Students' Rights to an Attorney," by Susan Kruth, October 11, 2013
- "National and Local Media Spill a Lot of Ink on New NC 'Right-to-Counsel' Law," by Nico Perrino, September 3, 2013
- "'The Washington Times' Rings in the Academic Year with a Warning," by Bridget Glackin, August 28, 2013
- "KC Johnson on the Flawed Assumptions Made by Critics of NC Representation Law," by Susan Kruth, August 27, 2013
- "North Carolina Becomes First State to Guarantee College Students' Right to Attorney," August 23, 2013
- "NC law levels playing field for accused college students,"
by Bob Kellogg, OneNewsNow, September 10, 2013
- "New N.C. law allows college students right to an attorney,"
by Denisha Hedgebeth, USA Today, September 9, 2013
- "CJ Editorial: UNC Students (and Due Process) Prevail,"
Carolina Journal Online, September 5, 2013
- "Balancing the scales for students,"
by Robert Shibley, News & Observer, August 30, 2013
- "Law gives students right to attorney,"
by Jake Barach, The Daily Tar Heel, August 28, 2013
- "New law allows NC students to hire attorneys for campus disciplinary hearings,"
by Caroline Blair, News 14 Carolina, August 27, 2013
- "EDITORIAL: Constitution-free campuses,"
The Washington Times, August 27, 2013
- "New law gives North Carolina public college students the right to a lawyer in campus courts,"
by Debra Cassens Weiss, ABA Journal, August 27, 2013
- "NC law allows university students facing discipline to hire an attorney,"
by Jane Stancill, News Observer, August 26, 2013
- "Students Lawyer Up,"
by Allie Grasgreen, Inside Higher Ed, August 26, 2013
- "North Carolina now the first state to give college students the right to an attorney,"
by John Twarog, Red Alert Politics, August 25, 2013
- "North Carolina Students Granted Right to Attorney at Campus Courts,"
by Elizabeth Harrington, The Washington Free Beacon, August 23, 2013