Nassau Community College: Free Speech Zone
At a demonstration on July 20, 2011, members of the Nassau Community College Federation of Teachers (NCCFT) were forced to remain behind metal barricades by NCC's Public Safety Office, and warned that their "right to remain on the campus may be forfeited" if they protested outside the zone. NCC again confined faculty behind metal barricades when they held a second protest on August 3, and decided arbitrarily that they could not take their hand-held posters out of the free speech zone while protesting. FIRE wrote to NCC August 16, one day before a third planned protest, pointing out that the establishment of free speech zones far exceeded the college's authority. NCC discontinued use of the metal barricades the next day and acknowledged the faculty's right to demonstrate peacefully throughout the campus.
- "Letter to FIRE From Nassau Community College General Counsel Chuck Cutolo, August 30, 2011," August 30, 2011
- "Victory for Free Speech at Nassau Community College: Faculty Liberated from 'Free Speech Zone'," August 22, 2011: Last week, after twice confining faculty members protesting budget cuts behind metal barricades, Nassau Community College (Long Island, N.Y.) reversed itself and allowed its instructors to freely distribute literature and carry protest signs across campus. Faculty members subjected to these unconstitutional "free speech zones" came to FIRE for help.
- "Fax from Nassau Community College to NCC Federation of Teachers, August 17, 2011," August 17, 2011
- "FIRE Letter to Nassau Community College President Donald P. Astrab, August 16, 2011," August 16, 2011
- "Notice of County Ordinance 238-1984, August 3, 2011," August 3, 2011
- "NCCFT's Announcement of Rally On The Plaza, August 3, 2011," July 29, 2011
- "Notice distributed to NCC Faculty, July 20, 2011," July 20, 2011
- "NCC Policy Statement With Respect To Bias & Discrimination," May 14, 1991
- "Nassau Community College Affirms Free Speech Rights for Faculty in Response to FIRE," by Peter Bonilla, September 8, 2011
- "Robert on 'Cam & Company' Radio Show Tomorrow," by Joanna Brenner, August 22, 2011
- "Victory for Free Speech at Nassau Community College: Faculty Liberated from 'Free Speech Zone'," by Alison Meyer, August 22, 2011