Hamilton College: Thought Reform of 'Pro-Rape' Male Freshmen
As part of an extended freshman orientation program, all first-year males were told that they must attend a lecture by Keith Edwards entitled "She Fears You." "She Fears You" is based on the theory that men need a "combined emotional and cognitive intervention" to reform their deeply ingrained rape-supportive beliefs about gender and sexuality. FIRE wrote President Joan H. Stewart to voice concern about this invasion of students' conscience, requesting that the event be made optional. FIRE received no reply, and two hours before the program began, Dean of Students Nancy Thompson restated that attendance at "She Fears You" was mandatory. Yet, the event apparently was made optional at the last moment, resulting in what one student described as a "mass exodus" from the auditorium. Hamilton College has failed to explain its actions against freedom of conscience and its suggestion that women at Hamilton College are unsafe because of the campus' "rape culture."
- "Extended first-year orientation, September 30, 2010," September 30, 2010
- "E-mail from Dean of Students Nancy Thompson to Students, September 27, 2010," September 27, 2010
- "FIRE Letter to Hamilton College President President Joan H. Stewart, September 24, 2010," September 24, 2010
- "E-mail from Northside Area Director Noelle Niznik to Students, September 21, 2010," September 21, 2010
- "E-mail from Dean of Students Nancy Thompson to Students, September 19, 2010," September 19, 2010
- "This Week in the News: Whistleblowing UCLA Professor Still Making Headlines and Hamilton College Wins Muzzle Award," by Jordan Fischetti, April 15, 2011
- "Thomas Jefferson Center Awards 2011 'Muzzle' to Hamilton College's Mandatory 'Intervention' for Freshman Males," by Adam Kissel, April 13, 2011: "She Fears You," Hamilton College's mandatory and coercive orientation program for freshman males last fall, received a Muzzle Award today from the Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression. "She Fears You" is based on the theory that men need a "combined emotional and cognitive intervention" to reform their deeply ingrained rape-supportive beliefs about gender and sexuality. The program interferes with students' freedom of conscience, unlike less invasive education programs. The annual Muzzle Awards draw attention to "egregious or ridiculous affronts to free expression."
- "'Chapin's Inferno' Torches Keith Edwards and Hamilton College," by Jordan Fischetti, November 8, 2010
- "Hamilton College Won't Talk about 'She Fears You,' but Keith Edwards Will," by Jordan Fischetti, October 14, 2010
- "Attendance Not Logged at 'Required' Hamilton College 'Rape Culture' Event, but Fundamental Freedoms Still at Risk," by Jordan Fischetti, October 1, 2010: Amidst heated debate, the "She Fears You" presentation went forward Monday evening at Hamilton College. FIRE, Hamilton professors, and Hamilton alumni protested the mandatory nature of the event, which was intended to demonstrate to male freshmen their complicity in a "rape culture" on campus because of their "pro-rape" beliefs and attitudes. Hamilton administrators repeated that the event was mandatory, but when students arrived at the event, they learned that their IDs would not be swiped, prompting many to leave. Hamilton has never explained why it changed its policy at the last minute, nor did it ever apologize for making the event mandatory in the first place. Instead, students are expecting another mandatory event on "diversity" later this term. FIRE is monitoring the potential further violations of students' freedom of conscience at Hamilton.
- "Hamilton Requires First-Year Men to Attend Presentation on Campus ‘Rape Culture’; Female Applicants Not Forewarned of Dangers of Attending Hamilton," by Samantha Harris, September 27, 2010