North Shore Community College: Ideological Litmus Testing for Job Candidates
At North Shore Community College, FIRE became concerned about the threat to freedom of conscience posed by NSCC's job announcement requiring "Appreciation of multiculturalism" for a full-time faculty member in the school's English Department. This requirement imposed a political litmus test on job candidates and forced a faculty member to maintain a fundamental viewpoint with which he or she might not have agreed. After FIRE wrote NSCC President Wayne Burton about his college's violation of freedom of conscience, NSCC agreed to keep this requirement out of all present and future job announcements.
- "Letter to FIRE from North Shore CC Vice President for Huamn Resource Development Madeline Wallis," April 6, 2009
- "FIRE Letter to North Shore Community College President Wayne Burton," March 27, 2009
- "Job Announcement," March 20, 2009
- "Example of New Job Listing at North Shore Community College," March 19, 2009
- "Like Virginia Tech, North Shore Community College Backtracks on Ideological Litmus Test," by Adam Kissel, April 27, 2009