Indiana University South Bend: Student Sanctioned for 'Vagina Monologues' Interview
Indiana University-South Bend reversed its punishment of a student reporter who was found guilty of "conduct that is lewd, indecent or obscene" for interviewing members of a campus group about their production of the play "The Vagina Monologues." Student Robert Francis appealed to FIRE, which successfully pressured the university to overturn its unjust decision.
- "Victory for Freedom of Speech at Indiana University–South Bend," September 20, 2007: Indiana University–South Bend has reversed its decision against a student reporter who was found guilty of “conduct that is lewd, indecent or obscene” for interviewing members of a campus group about their production of the play “The Vagina Monologues.” Student Robert Francis appealed to FIRE, which successfully pressured the university to overturn its unjust decision. FIRE wrote to IUSB explaining that the school could not, under the First Amendment, find Francis guilty of improper conduct simply because he asked questions and made comments that some would interpret as offensive. FIRE also highlighted the clear double standard at work in this case—that IUSB wanted to punish Francis for engaging in the same type of speech used in the performance of the play.
- "IUSB Letter to Robert Francis, September 18, 2007," September 18, 2007
- "IUSB Response to FIRE, September 18, 2007," September 18, 2007
- "FIRE Letter to IUSB Chancellor Una Mae Reck, August 21, 2007," August 21, 2007
- "IUSB Hearing Commission Report, June 13, 2007," June 13, 2007
- "Charlotte Pfeifer Preliminary Decision Against Robert Francis, May 11, 2007," May 11, 2007
- "Student Government Association Defense Brief," May 1, 2007
- "Robert Francis E-mail to Charles Norton Containing Original Article, April 2, 2007," April 2, 2007
- "Student Newspaper Article by Cast Members of 'The Vagina Monologues'," March 7, 2007
- "This Month in FIRE History: IUSB and Double Standards for Student Speech," by Claire Jenkins, September 18, 2008