This Week in FIRE News
November 11, 2011
Happy Veterans Day, and happy 11/11/11!
Fall is a habitually busy time for FIRE, and this season has been no exception. In addition to taking on specific free speech, due process, and religious liberty cases at colleges across the country, FIRE has also been working diligently to make sure students and faculty are armed with the resources necessary to keep their rights intact.
Fresh off the heels of the release of our survey of the standards of evidence employed by the nation's top 100 colleges and universities, on Wednesday we released our Policy Statement on Political Activity on Campus for 2012, following censorship policies at Grambling State University and other colleges. This is good timing, as in the wake of election season, college students and faculty across the nation should be aware of their right to engage in political speech on campus.
For a recap of where other FIRE cases and issues made headlines this week, please see the following:
- CampusReform.org: VIDEO: UCO Campus Police Shut Down Student's Free Speech & Association
- San Luis Obispo Tribune: Conservative author at Poly urges students to start deciding
- The Clarion: The Art of War, sex and academic freedom
- The Western Front: Parking ticket becomes free speech issue
- RealClearPolitics: The Politics of Campus Sexual Assault
- Williston Herald: UND student back at school
- HarveySilverglate.com: Caleb Warner's Story Continues to Inspire