E-mail from Richard J. Jackson to James E. Enstrom, January 3, 2011
January 3, 2011
From: "Jackson, Richard J." <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: "Enstrom, James E." <email@example.com>
CC: "Lopatt, Jane" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:06:56 -0800
Subject: RE: Important Request re APM 140 Step III-B Hearing
Dear Dr Enstrom,
I am very pressed with other tasks as you know. I learned from UC Counsel that the APM-140 procedure does not provide for requiring a response to this request.
For this reason, I will not be responding to your request directly and suggest you continue your interaction with Jane Lopatt.
Richard J Jackson MD MPH
Professor and Chair, Environmental Health Sciences
UCLA School of Public Health 56-070 CHS
650 Charles E Young Drive South
Los Angeles, California 90095-1772
310 206 8522
fax (310) 794-2106
My UCLA SPH Faculty Profile
From: James E. Enstrom [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 3:24 PM
To: Jackson, Richard J.
Cc: Lopatt, Jane
Subject: Important Request re APM 140 Step III-B Hearing
December 17, 2010
To: Richard J. Jackson, M.D., M.P.H.
Chair, Department of Environmental Health Sciences
From: James E. Enstrom, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Re: Important Request re APM 140 Step III-B Hearing
Dear Dr. Jackson:
As you are aware, I am currently appealing my non-reappointment in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) according to the provisions of UCLA APM 140. In preparation for my Step III-B Hearing, during which I intend to call you as a witness, I request your response by January 7, 2011 to the 22 items shown below. These and other items will be addressed during the hearing. If necessary, please obtain the requested information from the appropriate person within EHS or elsewhere. A PDF version of this email message is attached for your use.
If you have any concerns regarding the appropriateness of this request, please direct them to Jane Lopatt, APM 140 Grievance Liaison firstname.lastname@example.org (310) 825-7777.
Thank you very much for your timely consideration of this important request.
James E. Enstrom, Ph.D., M.P.H.
1) Please send me a copy of the February 8, 1995 EHS document, Faculty Responsibilities and Guidelines for Evaluation of Scholarship, Teaching and Service that you sent to Richard H. Gold, M.D., in October 2010.
2) Please send me evidence of any type, such as, an email message, letter, and/or other communication, indicating that I and other EHS researchers were given this 1995 document and informed that it would be used as a basis for evaluating our contributions to EHS.
3) Please identify the two papers you discussed with Dr. Gold in October 2010 that led him to conclude Dr. Enstrom, however, has published only two peer-reviewed research papers during the past five years. Since you spoke with Dr. Gold in October 2010, the five year period is assumed to be from October 1, 2005 to October 1, 2010.
4) Please identify all my papers since October 1, 2005 that are shown on page 8 of the 11-page SUMMARY CURRICULUM VITAE that I gave to you via Barbara Housel on November 6, 2009.
5) Were my SUMMARY CURRICULUM VITAE and full printed versions of all my papers since October 1, 2005 given to all EHS faculty members before they voted on my reappointment in April 2010?
6) Please state your opinion of my numerous public comments to CARB, submitted from April 22, 2008 to December 15, 2010, indicating whether these comments are consistent with the mission of EHS and worthy of inclusion in a full and fair evaluation of my contributions to EHS.
7) Are your papers since October 1, 2005 [ Environment Shapes Health, Including Children's Mental Health J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:129-131 Feb 2008 and Editorial: Environment Meets Health, Again Science 315:1337 March 9, 2007] accurately and completely identified in the PubMed.gov database?
8) If not, please provide me with the list of all your publications since October 1, 2005.
9) Please send me a copy of the 2006 letter offering epidemiologist Michael Jerrett, Ph.D., a tenure-track faculty position in EHS.
10) In your opinion, does my February 26, 2010 CARB Symposium talk provide convincing evidence that there is no significant relationship between PM2.5 and total mortality in California?
11) In your opinion, does my February 26, 2010 CARB Symposium talk provide evidence of any violation of the UC Standards of Ethical Conduct by Drs. John Froines and Michael Jerrett?
12) Given the evidence presented in my CARB Symposium talk and CARB public comments, discuss the validity of the following statement in your December 4, 2008 CARB public comments: The state of California estimates that diesel pollution from trucks and buses alone will be responsible for 4,500 premature deaths in California in 2008.
13) Provide evidence to support Dr. Gold s statement Dr. Jackson claims Dr. Enstrom became aware of his financial straits in May 2009, when he retrieved an on line summary of his financial data.
14) Provide evidence showing the date when my primary Fund 59605 was first overdrawn, the date when this fund was formally closed by UCLA, and the date when I was first informed of either of these events.
15) Please identify the person(s) who authorized, without my knowledge or permission, the payment of my salary during 2009 from sources other than Fund 59605, which was clearly specified on my monthly time sheets.
16) Specify the years that the ESE 410B course on environmental statistics has been taught, in addition to 2006, when I, along with the assistance of a Ph.D. statistician, taught this very complex course free of charge to EHS.
17) Provide evidence that I have ever identified myself inaccurately or inappropriately in conjunction with my association with EHS.
18) Provide evidence that you have authority over how I am identified in conjunction with my concurrent research position at the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center?
19) Provide evidence that you are authorized to change my official listing onhttp://www.directory.ucla.edu/ and in the printed UCLA Telephone Directory, particularly when my prior listing had been in place for over 12 years.
20) Provide evidence of any opportunity you have given me during 2010 to personally explain to EHS faculty members my epidemiologic research and other contributions to EHS.
21) Since Dr. Gold concluded I believe Dr. Enstrom s research is fully aligned with the department s mission, and since I have substantial evidence that I have made important research, teaching, community service, and other contributions to EHS during the past five years, will you allow me to present to the EHS faculty the April 21, 2010 lecture that you previously cancelled?
22) Will you allow me to submit through EHS an HEI grant application to study criteria pollutants and mortality before a final decision is made regarding my non-reappointment in EHS?