For the Media
To interview someone from FIRE, please call 215-717-3473. To find background information on the organization that you may find useful in your reporting, keep reading.
FIRE Press Kit
What Is FIRE?
- freedom of speech;
- legal equality;
- due process;
- religious liberty; and
- sanctity of conscience.
- Individual Rights Defense Program:
- FIRE directly defends individual students and professors, as well as campus groups, against violations of their rights;
- This program includes the Speech Codes Litigation Project, through which FIRE has coordinated four successful lawsuits against public universities’ unlawful restrictions on free speech.
- Individual Rights Education Program:
- FIRE’s Guides to Student Rights on Campus: FIRE publishes handbooks written by experts on due process, free speech, and other individual rights and makes them available free to students;
- Public Awareness Project: FIRE continually exposes campus abuses of civil liberties in the media and on our website, which includes our weblog, The Torch, and Spotlight: The Campus Freedom Resource, a comprehensive online guide to the state of liberty on individual college campuses.
Who Is FIRE?
- Graduate, Stanford Law School (focused on First Amendment and constitutional law);
- Formerly practiced law and also worked for Environmentors Project, ACLU of Northern California, and Organization for Aid to Refugees in Prague;
- Co-author, FIRE’s Guide to Free Speech on Campus;
- Published in Chronicle of Higher Education and other publications;
- Frequent guest on radio and television programs, including Buchanan and Press;
- Testified before U.S. Senate about free speech on college campuses.