University of South Florida: Administrator Confuses Conservatives and Libertarians to Deny Group's Recognition
The University of South Florida (USF) denied recognition to the conservative student organization Young Americans for Freedom (YAF), arguing that YAF was too "similar" to the libertarian Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) student group. YAF submitted its Chapter Constitution in April 2010, but Student Programs Coordinator Edna Jones Miller rejected the application several months later because "the purpose of your proposed organization may be fairly similar, if not the same, as another existing organization that is established at the USF Tampa campus" and "no other student organization can exist with the same or similar mission/purpose." Meanwhile, other student groups with similar names and missions have been granted recognition at USF, revealing an unacceptable double standard. After FIRE intervened, USF provided YAF with provisional recognition, but has yet to revise its unconstitutional policy, which fails the Supreme Court's requirement that government representatives use "narrow, objective, and definite standards" when subjecting First Amendment rights to a permit system.
- "University Recognizes Young Americans for Freedom: Conservative and Libertarian Groups Were Too 'Similar' to Coexist," November 30, 2010: The University of South Florida (USF) has reversed its denial of recognition to the conservative Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) student group. USF had argued that YAF was too "similar" to the libertarian Young Americans for Liberty on campus. After USF denied YAF's application for recognition, YAF came to FIRE for help.
- "USF Second Response to FIRE, November 19, 2010," November 19, 2010
- "FIRE Second Letter to USF President Judy Genshaft, November 8, 2010," November 8, 2010
- "USF First Response to FIRE, October 28, 2010," October 28, 2010
- "FIRE First Letter to USF President Judy Genshaft, October 15, 2010," October 15, 2010
- "E-mail from Student Programs Coordinator Edna Jones Miller to Anthony Davis, September 23, 2010," September 23, 2010
- "Young Americans for Freedom Chapter Constitution," April 1, 2010
- "Double Standard at USF Parodied by Mike Adams," December 1, 2010
- "University Recognizes Young Americans for Freedom: Conservative and Libertarian Groups Were Too 'Similar' to Coexist," by Peter Bonilla, November 30, 2010