University of Central Florida: Speech Quarantined to 'Free Assembly Areas'
After instituting "Free Assembly Areas" around campus, constituting a small percentage of the actual grounds, the University of Central Florida drew criticism from FIRE for its disregard of the First Amendment. After twice preventing The Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) from protesting under the Golden Rule's "Free Assembly Areas" policy, the University of Central Florida then further diminished students' First Amendment rights by implementing a "Free Assembly Areas" policy from the Student Union, a policy inconsistent with the Golden Rule's, recognizing different areas on campus as free speech zones. The SDS was forced to cease protesting, even though they were within the designated area under the Golden Rule's policy, because it conflicted with the Student Assembly. Not only is UCF limiting free speech by introducing these policies, but they are then further inhibiting students' rights to free speech and assembly by having disparate policies. FIRE continues to criticize UCF, as the school has yet to eliminate their inconsistent and unconstitutional measures.
- "University of Central Florida Student Union "Free Assembly Areas" Policy," January 25, 2007
- "FIRE Letter to University of Central Florida President John Hitt, January 24, 2007," January 24, 2007
- "Letter from Central Florida ACLU to University of Central Florida President John Hitt, January 18, 2007," January 18, 2007
- "Students Censored, Free Speech Under Quarantine at University of Central Florida," December 4, 2006: FIRE is calling on the University of Central Florida to repeal its unlawful and unfair “free speech zone” policy. This policy quarantines free speech at the public university to four areas covering only a small percentage of its campus. This policy has recently been used to stop at least two student organizations from holding protests, including Students for a Democratic Society and UCF Campus Peace Action.
- "Letter from UCF Associate General Council Youndy Cook to FIRE, November 17, 2006," November 17, 2006
- "FIRE Letter to UCF President John C. Hitt, November 1, 2006," November 1, 2006
- "UCF Free Assembly Areas Policy," September 1, 2006