University of Central Florida: Censorship of Internet Speech
University of Central Florida student Matthew Walston was charged with “harassment” and “personal abuse” after he created a Facebook group entitled “Victor Perez is a Jerk and a Fool.” After the university scheduled a hearing for Walston for February 6, 2006, FIRE intervened. The university subsequently determined that Walston was not guilty.
- "Student Wins Facebook.com Case at University of Central Florida," March 6, 2006: First Amendment rights on the Internet were recently vindicated at the University of Central Florida. Until FIRE intervened, a student was set to be punished on harassment charges for calling a student government candidate “a jerk and a fool” on the popular college website Facebook.com.
- "University of Central Florida 'Not In Violation' Notice to Matt Walston, February 7, 2006," February 7, 2006
- "Letter from University of Central Florida Counsel Youndy Cook to FIRE, February 3, 2006," February 3, 2006
- "FIRE Letter to University of Central Florida President John C. Hitt, January 31, 2006," January 31, 2006
- "University of Central Florida Notification of Charge Against Matthew Walston," October 3, 2005
- "University of Central Florida Student Complaint Against Matt Walston," September 15, 2005
- "College Athletes Caught in Tangled Web,"
by Brent Schrotenboer, The San Diego Union-Tribune, May 24, 2006
- "Lack of Legal Precedent Poses Major Problem for Schools,"
by Wendy Leung, Daily Bulletin (Ontario, Calif.), May 22, 2006
- "University presidents battle for honors in spinelessness,"
by John Leo, Universal Press Syndicate, May 1, 2006