Greg and ‘Unlearning Liberty’ in the News
November 12, 2012
by Nico Perrino
FIRE President Greg Lukianoff is all over the news lately.
In this past Sunday's edition of the New York Daily News, FIRE President Greg Lukianoff took on the poor track record of protecting student and faculty free speech rights among colleges and universities in New York state. "New Yorkers might say, 'Speech codes could never fly here!'," Greg writes, "But Empire State schools censor students, too."
Greg discusses FIRE's dealings with Syracuse University, which in just the past two years threatened to expel a law student for running a satirical blog and effectively expelled another for writing on Facebook about comments he thought were racist. Greg also points out that three of New York's preeminent schools—Columbia University, New York University, and Cornell University—have speech codes that clearly restrict free speech. Check out Greg's entire column at the New York Daily News.
And for those in the New England area, be sure to catch Greg on the popular radio show "Nightside with Dan Rea" on WBZ 1030 News Radio tonight from 9–10 p.m. EST to discuss his book and take caller questions. For those outside the New England area, the show can be streamed online from the CBS Boston website.
Greg's latest appearances come amidst widespread interest in his new book, Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate. Here are some highlights of Unlearning Liberty's media coverage since we last recapped it on October 25, two days after its release:
- Two reviews on Townhall.com, "Unlearning Liberty" and "Putting on the Fresh Person Fifteen," Oct. 23 and 29
- The Daily Caller/The College Fix, "Campus Censorship: ‘It's Much Worse Than People Think,'" Oc. 24
- Reason, "Unlearning Liberty: Censorship on College Campuses," Oct. 26
- Psychology Today, "A Psychological Solution to Bullying," Nov. 1
- Minding The Campus, "FIRE Singes the Censors," Nov. 2
- PJ Media, "For Men, Little Due Process on the College Campus," Nov. 2
- Independent Register, "Unlearning Liberty: A Must Read to Deter the Degradation of Discourse,"
- National Review Online, "Free Speech on FIRE," Nov. 9
- Metro Newspapers, "Working Together to Liberate the Quad," Nov. 11
- The Volokh Conspiracy, guest blogging, Oct. 29 – Nov. 2
- "The Buzz Bissinger Show," WPHT/Philadelphia, Oct. 25
- "The Mike Rosen Show," KOA News Radio/Colorado, Oct. 25
- "Mornings With Nick Reed," KSGF/Springfield, MO, Oct. 25
- "AirTalk with Larry Mantle," KPCC/Los Angeles, CA, Oct. 25
- "The Brian Thomas Show," KRC The Talk Station/Cincinnati, OH, Oct. 25
- "The Capital City Recap w/ Mike Cohen," WILS/Lansing, MI, Oct. 26
- "The Bottom Line," KBRT/Southern Christian Talk, Oct. 31
- "The Jim Bohannon Show," nationally syndicated, Nov. 1
- "The Roundtable," WAMC/NPR/New England, Nov. 1
- "Terry and Rantz," KIRO Radio/Central Washington state, Nov. 3
- "Central Standard," KCUR/NPR/Kansas City, MO, Nov. 8
- Clarion, "DU Morphs Sexual Harassment, Says New Book," Nov. 6